27 January 2013

Sacred Sunday


Dear readers,

I wanted to share something with you today.  This week, I got an email from a reader asking me what my "credentials" were in leading a Bible Study and in writing this blog.  Basically, I think she wanted to know what right I have to lead a study of His Word.

To be honest, I was angry at first.  Now, her email in itself, its wording, its content, was sweet, unassuming.  I really get the impression that she was sincerely curious.  However, her questions fed right into my own doubts about my worthiness to take on this study.

So, I submitted my concern to my Facebook friends.  Many of them are incredible Christians, and some of those are incredible Christian men and women either in the Ministry themselves or are serving in our Armed Forces.  I was not seeking proof of my "credibility."  I was seeking advice if any of them had faces similiar questions.

Their overwhelming response and encouragement has thrown me into His Word.  To all those men and women, I am so completely blessed, honored, and humbled.  I am really a horrible friend-type person, yet I have such incredible encouragers in my life!  He has been so good to me!

Because of the struggles I faced this week, I wanted to share the encouragement I found from Him!

Right out of His Word.  A message to Christians in the very early Church.  Encouragement to those He has called- no matter where He has called you from, or where He is calling you to go.  I believe that the email I received this week, that caused me to struggle and to doubt, was a call for me to seach His Word.  This encouragement is not just for me.  This encouragement is for you!

God bless you as you move in His will!

26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”
~1 Corinthians 1 v 26-31

2 comments:

  1. In my church, the various positions that need filled in the congregation are filled by a calling that the Bishop (equivalent to a pastor) feels inspired to extend. Several of the key leadership positions tend to be put on a pedestal, and people covet them and dream of one day being called to that position (sadly). One of those big and important callings is that of leading the women's organization of the congregation, called the "Relief Society President". RS Presidents are stereotypically women whose children have grown into the teen stage, or maybe already left the house. She's calm, patient, loving, serene, and wise. She has time to devote to her calling, and keeps on top of who needs what in the congregation, making visits and arranging meals, etc.
    Imagine my surprise when, at the tender age of 32, I was called to this position. My husband was TDY for 2 months at the time, I was trying to single-parent four kids. And anyone who's ever met me can tell you that I am NOT the patient, serene, wise picture of womanly perfection. I have a big mouth and a short temper. I am completely disorganized and scatterbrained. I have trouble remembering to pray and read my scriptures every day, and would rather sit in the hallway during Sunday School.
    And yet... for two years, the Lord called me to lead those women. For two years He made up for my lacking, and filled in gaps when it was necessary. It was an incredible experience! To know that I was doing what He wanted me to do, and that He was making sure I was ABLE to do as he'd commanded, filled my heart with thoughts of His love and gratitude toward Him.
    Was I perfect and serene? Heck no. Did I do a lot of good and make a difference. Thankfully, yes. I wouldn't trade those two (hectic and headache-filled) years for anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing testimony, Susie! Thank you for sharing this! I pray that I am as faithful to His calling. I am one who is easily discouraged. Negativity is typically something I cave in to rather than fight against. I am learning to really lean more on Him and the calling as motivation to keep going. He has really been using alot of other Christian women, such as yourself, to keep me focused on Him. As a loner, even in the midst of my friends I prefer to sit by myself, He has been placing women in my life who force me to step out of my comfort zone. This is another step out... :)
      God bless you, Susie!!!

      Delete

Hello Reader!
Your perspective is valuable and appreciated! Please leave us your thoughts, but please be respectful of other comments and their authors. Please be aware, I reserve the right to delete those comments which are argumentative, combative, abusive, use foul language, or are spam.
Thank you, and God bless you!
~C. Borden