23 January 2013

Fortress of Faith: Study Seven- Foundation of Love

"1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13 v 1-13
Thank you for joining us today!  I am so happy that you have come to visit!  I hope that today's study speaks to your heart.  I hope you see His hand and feel His love deeply, not just today, but every day!

This week, we will discuss verses 11 and 12:

11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

As adults, no matter what age we are, we can all look back to our childhood and notice the huge difference between our actions as a child and our actions as an adult.  For that matter, because we are all associated with the military in one way or another, we can notice the difference in who we were before the military and who we are now as we are in the military, supporting the military, or living after the military. 

We are all aware of how perspective influences our choices.  Before we joined the military, what was our perspective of military life, of being a military wife, of being a veteran?  Now that we are in those roles, how have our perspectives  changed? 

 
 

The same thing is being said here of what our life was like before know God's love.  How did we see Him before knowing Him?  How did we perceive Christianity before becoming part of His people?  How did we view our own lives?  Then look at where we are now?  How much has changed in our perspective as we feel His love?  How much of what we thought we knew has been proven true or false about His will for us?

Then as we continue to verse twelve, we see that even as we are growing in His love, even as we are seeing our lives change, even as we see our perspectives and ideas change to see His love and truth, we see this is merely the tip of the iceberg.  The love we feel from Him now is growing.  The love we feel now is just a piece.  As we grow in our Faith, as we share His love, we will feel His love grow in us and through us, so that when we see Him face to face, we will know Him as fully as He knows us!

Pretty cool! 

Even in our relationships where we think we know someone inside and out, we are never very sure.  We are certainly not sure of whether the person we think we know so well, truly knows who we are!  I know we can all relate.  There is the best friend: you know her so well, like a sister, but then she says or does something that throws you for a loop making you wonder if you ever really knew her at all.  There is your spouse.  You have been married for years and years.  You have grown and changed, together and apart and together again.  You have developed a relationship so strong, and yet there are times when he says something or expects something of you that is not you, and you think that he should surely know that by now! 

We change.  God does not.  We cannot fathom how His love can be unchanging and eternal, because even in our most secure human relationships, there is still the element of the unknown.  Not with our God.  The relationship we share with Him is eternal.  HIS side of the relationship is unwavering, despite our faithfulness or lack of faithfulness.  As we spend time with Him, we will see more and more the Truth of His dedication to us.  His promise to us is that in the end, we will know Him and His love just as deeply as He knows us.

I hope you all have a beautiful day!
God bless!

Copyright © 2012 C.H.Borden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Reader!
Your perspective is valuable and appreciated! Please leave us your thoughts, but please be respectful of other comments and their authors. Please be aware, I reserve the right to delete those comments which are argumentative, combative, abusive, use foul language, or are spam.
Thank you, and God bless you!
~C. Borden