02 April 2013

Month of the Military Child

In 1986, April was designated as a month to celebrate the children of those who serve in the Armed Forces.

Believe it or not, this month to celebrate is news to me, and I have experience with the military since 1999.  Even now that I am a Mom of eight years, I have never once heard of any events on any bases, or by any spouses groups, or even from the Chapels that focus on the children, that get their perspectives, or that celebrate their triumphs as they are moved from one place to another, as they struggle through the absence of a parent through TDY's and Deployments.

 Apparently, I have been living under a rock.

However, I want to take this month and collect ideas that we can do with our children to show them our appreciation for THEIR sacrifices.



This month offers us the opportunity to pick their brains.  Let's gain their input and perspectives.  Let's offer them a chance to have a say about the life we have chosen, that they had no choice in.



I know previous moves have not affected my child so far.  However, we have an upcoming PCS.  He has known about it for a while, and he has struggled with it.  He loves the area we live in.  He loves his school.  He has friends he doesn't want to say goodbye to.  Plus, this time, he is experiencing fear of the unknown- what will his future home be like, what will his future school be like, will he make friends, etc, etc.

I know I have taken for granted the struggles my son must face each time we move.  I know I have taken for granted his ability to put on a smile and just work through it.  Such a tender age, and yet, he often displays characteristics of a grown man. 



Are your military children the same way?  Have you spoken with them about it?  Do they have opinions, and do their opinions play a part in the decision making?

I am certainly going to do my best to celebrate my kiddo's life as a military child.  I hope you all will join me.   And please pass it on to your military friends.  Please check your Base events to find out if they are doing anything to honor our kids.   Also check your local communities, some of them may be holding special events as well.

God bless our Military Children!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Reader!
Your perspective is valuable and appreciated! Please leave us your thoughts, but please be respectful of other comments and their authors. Please be aware, I reserve the right to delete those comments which are argumentative, combative, abusive, use foul language, or are spam.
Thank you, and God bless you!
~C. Borden